Ira Hughes and his family went through two and half years of fighting pediatric cancer with their daughter Audrey before she passed away in 2017.
- 01:17: Can you take us back to the very beginning and what happened with your daughter?
- 03:33: She progressed while we got some physical therapy, everything was looking like a normal kid.
- 05:16: They went to do some research and found four documented cases that had ever originated in the spinal quarter before.
- 07:16: She was getting chemo.
- 09:20: The hospital we had gone to had partnered with MD Anderson in Houston.
- 11:03: It's a very aggressive growing cancer.
- 15:05: She always made people laugh, made us laugh.
- 17:56: Phase one trial is a significant trial and it's mainly for safety at that point to see if the patient can tolerate the regimen.
- 20:48: I can't imagine trying to fight cancer right now and having our families more separated than they were during that time.
- 23:29: Do you mind if we talk about the after?
- 26:01: We're going to be a strong family of four or a strong family of three when we get out of this.
- 28:42: I try to read a book a week or listen to a book a week.
- 30:13: I think my wife and I had done a good job of letting each other have the time that we need to have to heal.
- 32:30: I felt like I was giving away my child.
- 34:07: When did Audrey die?
- 37:10: I felt like I was in a place where I generally would be happy, but I wasn't giving myself permission to be happy yet.
- 39:08: I almost threw myself off the roof.
- 41:17: Our battle through cancer was on social media.
- 46:03: What is one thing you wish you had known at the very beginning of Audrey's cancer journey?
- 47:09: If you could only do one thing to improve health care in the U.S., what would it be and why?
- 48:37: Thriver Rapid Fire
- 50:40: Aside from Cancer U, what is one resource you recommend for cancer patients and caregivers?
Did you like this episode? If so, please give us a review.
Please support the show by
We love hearing from our listeners! Send us a voicemail and tell us what kind of cancer stories you want to hear.
Create your podcast on PodPage (affiliate link)
Submit your guest profile on Podmatch (affiliate link)
If you're a cancer patient, caregiver, or survivor, join Cancer U!
Our Core Membership includes our Locals Community for only $5/month. Find support, learn from others, and make new friends. Join Now!