After being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 35 in 2009, Laura began helping others through advocacy and peer support organizations. In 2012, Laura moved into oncology nursing, specializing in breast cancer, survivorship, and wellness.
- 01:35: I've been a nurse for 11 years; it's a second career for me.
- 03:13: I actually got to use my degree and I designed neckties.
- 04:33: Take us back to before that diagnosis.
- 06:15: I started to notice a lymph node.
- 07:25: I remember my mammogram was on my brother's birthday and my husband was out of town.
- 09:00: I knew it. I knew it. I was right.
- 11:00: People just stepped up and it was the most amazing feeling.
- 13:40: I actually came down with mono.
- 15:16: You said some doctors asked if you were depressed, do you think they would have asked a man if he was depressed?
- 17:40: Here are your options and then let's talk about it.
- 20:11: You're not looking at life through the same lens.
- 24:06: What was your best moment?
- 28:07: What was your worst moment?
- 30:54: I just felt kind of dejected and just kind of like what the hell?
- 31:09: What's the one thing that you wish you had known at the very beginning of your cancer journey that perhaps you tell your patients now?
- 32:54: If you could only do one thing to improve healthcare in the US, what would it be and why?
- 36:45: There are so many interested parties who have a vested interest in keeping things with the status quo because they are making money.
- 39:00: Thriver Rapid Fire Questions
- 40:22: Aside from Cancer U, what is the one resource you would recommend for cancer patients and caregivers?
Did you like this episode? If so, please give us a review.
Please support the show by
We love hearing from our listeners! Send us a voicemail and tell us what kind of cancer stories you want to hear.
Create your podcast on PodPage (affiliate link)
Submit your guest profile on Podmatch (affiliate link)
If you're a cancer patient, caregiver, or survivor, join Cancer U!
Our Core Membership includes our Locals Community for only $5/month. Find support, learn from others, and make new friends. Join Now!