Paul Stavros is a multi-time cancer survivor. He was diagnosed with cancer for the first time at the age of 14. Thirty-five years later, he was again diagnosed. Today, Paul is using his experience as a patient to help people learn how to stay meaningfully engaged and helpful to someone with cancer.
- 01:57: I wanted to see my new muscles and there was a substantial lump under my left arm.
- 04:01: I feel like I missed a big part of my childhood.
- 06:20: What was your brother's reaction?
- 08:46: I had radiation as a child, and I had chemotherapy as an adult.
- 10:18: How long were you out of school?
- 14:12: There was a whole group of kids that would run with me around the playground.
- 16:50: I spent a lot of years trying to pretend like it never happened.
- 18:43: What symptoms did you have?
- 20:14: Doctors only call when it's bad.
- 22:39: Was there any discussion of clinical trials?
- 24:57: His suggestion was to never have surgery again.
- 26:47: What is one thing you wish you had known at the beginning of each cancer journey?
- 30:50: I lost both my parents to cancer.
- 31:31: What was your worst moment?
- 32:56: I opened the closet door, and my wife was curled up on the floor sobbing.
- 35:15: I always thought I would get cancer again.
- 36:10: What was your best moment?
- 38:37: If you could only do one thing to improve health care in the U.S., what would it be and why?
- 40:58: I am grateful for my wife because she's a bulldog.
- 41:48: Thriver Rapid Fire Questions
- 45:37: Aside from Cancer U, what is one resource you would recommend for cancer patients and caregivers?
Did you like this episode? If so, please give us a review.
Please support the show by
We love hearing from our listeners! Send us a voicemail and tell us what kind of cancer stories you want to hear.
Create your podcast on PodPage (affiliate link)
Submit your guest profile on Podmatch (affiliate link)
If you're a cancer patient, caregiver, or survivor, join Cancer U!
Our Core Membership includes our Locals Community for only $5/month. Find support, learn from others, and make new friends. Join Now!