For three months, Wanda Johnson was a full-time caregiver for her sister who had advanced gallbladder cancer. Then Wanda was diagnosed with triple-positive breast cancer. That diagnosis lit a flame of passion. She became a breast cancer advocate, where new opportunities have led to diverse experiences.
- 01:27: I'm there for my routine mammogram.
- 03:30: I was living in Houston, Texas, and before my diagnosis, my sister was living in Mobile, Alabama, which is our home.
- 05:33: The technician didn't pay any attention to it because of where it was located.
- 06:32: I'm not going to take you on as a patient.
- 10:25: We also have noticed something that didn't quite appear right. But we didn't say anything about it.
- 11:46: Do I make a very deliberate choice to live?
- 14:35: Why is it so hard to make a change?
- 16:30: My best moment, I would say, was during the holidays, and I had to go for a treatment to the main building,
- 21:14: How was your experience as a caregiver different from your sister as she was a patient?
- 25:53: I respected those boundaries.
- 26:48: How do you look at your life differently now than before either your diagnosis or your sister's diagnosis?
- 28:25: It told me that I've got a lot of resilience.
- 31:13: What is the one thing that you wish you had known at the beginning of your cancer journey?
- 33:35: My voice has power. And it's okay to use it.
- 36:20: We have the right to speak up and demand that they see us as like human beings.
- 37:04: If you could only do one thing, just one, to improve health care in the US, what would it be and why?
- 38:15: Thriver Rapid Fire Questions
- 40:00: what is one resource that you would recommend for cancer patients and our caregivers?
Did you like this episode? If so, please give us a review.
Please support the show by
We love hearing from our listeners! Send us a voicemail and tell us what kind of cancer stories you want to hear.
Create your podcast on PodPage (affiliate link)
Submit your guest profile on Podmatch (affiliate link)
If you're a cancer patient, caregiver, or survivor, join Cancer U!
Our Core Membership includes our Locals Community for only $5/month. Find support, learn from others, and make new friends. Join Now!